Labels

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A list of things I hate being told by non-FTMs...

Because sometimes I just need to write a list and sometimes when the holiday season is over I am forced to mull over the massive list of things people have said to me that are what-the-fuckery at its finest.  Some of them, of course, aren't that obviously obnoxious, so maybe this will help for the SOFFAs out there.

(Or not.  I'm only one guy, after all, and it's inevitable a lot of people don't consider this stuff irritating as I do.  Say them to me, though, and you have a problem.)
  • Personal questions when you don't know me.  Hell, even if you do.  Stuff like what medicine I'm on (if any) what surgeries I'm having (if any) and how I have sex are none of your business.  In fact, in most of these cases it wouldn't even occur to people that they were any of their business if I weren't trans.
  • Unsolicited passing advice.  Yeah, there are some of us who ask for passing advice, but if we don't ask for it, don't assume we want it.  When people give it to me, it suggests to me that you are mentally picking apart my gender expression.  I do enough of that on my own without your help.
  • Dwelling on mistakes regarding pronoun or name.  "Yeah, and remember back when Jack had her... HIS!  I MEAN HIS!  I'M SO SORRY!"  Yeah, yeah, I get that people make mistakes.  A dirty little secret of mine?  I make mistakes with some trans peoples' pronouns and names, too.  If you want to apologize, do it and move on.  When you make a big deal about it, you are singling me out for it.
  • Pseudopsychological and pseudosociological opinions and mental arguments about why people are trans.  Ranging from the student who took Sociology 101 and is trying to reconcile how come people would change their bodies to conform to a "social construct" to radical feminist critiques of how we're all just agents of the patriarchy, it's usually keep them to yourself.  Not that it'll never come up, but I'm not your mental petri dish and I don't care what your psychology teacher said.
  • Over-compensation for pronouns and titles.  This is like the more responsible older sister of profusely correcting yourself if you call me "she."  This is like... trying to gain brownie points by using male marker words where you would probably never use them for any other male.  It's pretty damned weird to refer to me as "sir" when we're casual friends.
  • Every reason you don't want to date me.  I already went over this, but it's like half of gay guys have some microchip in their brains that compels them to give every reason they wouldn't date a trans man every time they meet one.  Almost 100% of the time I wasn't even thinking of asking you out, so don't flatter yourself.
  • All the things you think about the way I have sex, whether you know how or not.  My favorite so far was when my friend's gay friend decided that the only way I could "have gay sex" was by being a bottom for a gay cis man.  It was appallingly rude that he would even bring it up, but had a nice ring of stupidity around it as well.
  • Otherwise reminding me how I'm trans and therefore very different from you.  I know that sometimes I come off as proud, but the reality is that being trans can be really shitty and most of the time I'd rather just ignore it.