Labels

Monday, February 21, 2011

Drowsy personal updates time.

I'm the one on the left.  Yeah, go Packers!
This is a personal diary kind of which goes over:
  • My state of health
  • Therapy stuff
  • Testosterone stuff
 I shouldn't be that tired, but today was a lazy day.  I "cut" class (I don't actually consider it "cutting" because there was no way my two-wheel-drive pickup truck which is nearly old enough to drive on its own was going to tackle the snowdrifts on my driveway, even with how much of my therapy fund I sacrificed for new tires) and so I slept in and tried to be productive.

So today I'm feeling good.  Based on the picture to the right and comments made by my friend Tina (also pictured) I am starting to be able to conceptualize how much weight I've really lost.

April 2010: 270 pounds.
February 2011: 215 pounds.

Which is a loss of 55 pounds that is generally not noticeable to me until I look at old pictures:

Yeah, I decided the first picture of me looking like I'm sulking at Thanksgiving dinner with a terrible hair that makes me look like my Aunt Sue kind of was cheating so I added one where I am legit happy and surrounded by supportive friends.  Can one be fat and happy?  Of course.  But Christ, I look different, and I'm not convinced all of it was my sudden realization that "Fuck, I can't read road signs, I should go to an optometrist" who subsequently told me I have freak eyes (one is nearsighted, one is farsighted, also astigmatism).

This is exciting to me for many testosterone-related reasons.

See, I've been clawing to get testosterone for a few months.  I've wanted it, vaguely, for years, but I haven't had the ambition to go for it both because my finances were low and because I have so many supportive friends who understand that my right to be called a "man" has nothing to do with how long I've been sticking needles in my ass that I wasn't as utterly dysphoric as I am now.

And yes, the dysphoria has been terrible.  Part of the reason I feel like I look so God-damned sexy in that first picture is because you can only really see me from the collarbone up.  And even then, my predominating thought is "God, when I get on testosterone, I'm going to be really hot."

I'm narcissistic, in case you didn't know.  I'm also health-conscious, which is how I got fat to begin with.  It's a delicious irony, right?  The way I eat now makes people assume I don't care what I eat, but all that really happened was that I have a different opinion of what constitutes healthy food than most people.  The result is a substantially smaller second chin.

And yes, I'm narcissistic, so part of this is vanity, but the rest of it is this:  I am scared to death of becoming my father.  Testosterone can raise your risk of a lot of things that run in my family and which are already starting to affect me, things like type two diabetes and high blood pressure.  I will seek testosterone regardless, but until I get it I want to try reducing my risk of these things further.  So far I've pulled my blood pressure from around 140/100 to about 125/77 which is probably largely due to the weight loss but also due to the lack of sugar I eat.  It was partially incidental... my doctor told me "You're afraid of diabetes?  Eat this way."  And I did.  And I happened to lose weight and drop my blood pressure in the progress.  That was a win on all sides.

I'm babbling, though.  You know why I'm excited?  Because even though I'm so extremely dysphoric and even though I am crying out for emotional attention from people, I left a message on my chosen therapist's answering machine.

It took quite a bit of nerve-enhancement much like the time I called an LGBT health center for the same thing and was rejected because I didn't have insurance ("We serve the low-income trans community... if you have insurance!").  The person I want to go to has a sliding scale, I'm not sure how that works when you have no income... but I have a nice chunk of cash, somewhere around $1,000 once my birthday comes on the 28th, and so even if I don't qualify for any assistance whatsoever I should be able to swing several of the required therapy sessions if not all of them.  Then I just need to worry about the blood panels, doctor appointments, needles, and testosterone.  And I have a few months to worry about that.

(Fist pump!)

I tried calling her office several times to get through, but kept getting the same sympathetic "I'm a psychiatrist and I know how to talk to people" voice mail message.  I left an email after the first one, mostly to obligate me to keep calling, but never got through.  So finally I wrote a script, a very simple one, and said I was looking for a transgender program and would like her to call me back.

We emailed back and forth a few months ago and she explained a few things, then when my finances dried up (due to my own stupidity, to be honest) I stopped contacting her.  But my family now sees my desperation and my urgency and I have a feeling that they are going to do what they can to help me through it.

Anyway, although I don't have class until like 5:30 in the afternoon tomorrow, I am feeling compelled to get my excited ass to bed.

Goodnight,
-- Jack