Labels

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dietary Transition

[Im Cr USDA]
Every so often I talk to people about what I call my "dietary transition."  When I talk about this I'm referring to the dietary changes I've been making to transition from a high-carb-vegetarian to a whole-foods-near-carnivore on the advice of a doctor to help with my weight and insulin resistance.

One of the "side-effects" besides the weight loss I already went through  was a noticeable spike in the amount of body hair and muscle I have which is probably due to a spike in my androgens level.  Because of this sometimes people sometimes ask me to elaborate what the hell my diet is so they can decide if they want to try it.  I don't particularly want to be a dietary proselytizer to the trans community and I can't promise good results for you, but I'll put a summary here for you.
First, a few things to keep in mind:  It's not a vegan/vegetarian diet and I am not confident it can be translated into one (I mention this just because I know there are a lot of vegan FTMs).  It also will probably change your blood panel members (especially your blood sugar and cholesterol), which is why you really do need to talk to a doctor about it.

The summary is:


Eat regularly:
Meat, poultry, eggs, organ meats, 'fatty' fruits (like avocadoes).

Eat very often:
Green vegetables, fish, oysters, spices.

Eat in moderation:
Most fruit (like apples), berries, squash, nuts, vegetable-like fruits, artificial sweeteners (if you can handle them), full-fat dairy, the following added fats: Olive oil, lard, tallow, coconut oil, avocado oil, other nut oils, butter, self-added salt.

Greatly restrict:
Honey, maple syrup, most legumes (beans, peanuts); dried fruit; very sugary fruit (like bananas and oranges).

Avoid:
All grains (including rice, corn, oats, and gluten-free grains), all cane sugar (even brown sugar, cane juice, and stuff marketed as "unrefined sugar"), all corn syrup, soy, vegetable oils (soybean, canola, corn... most oils not mentioned above), all pre-processed foods, foods with added salt.


Primarily with this kind of diet you want to be living on a diet of whole foods that you have prepared yourself.  The foods I eat on a regular basis are beef steaks, pork chops, lamb chops, eggs, side pork (or bacon), salmon, venison, chicken, spinach, tomatoes, mayonnaise (Mine is made with canola which is kind of a cheat, in a perfect world I'd make it myself), butter, coconut oil, lard, various spice mixes, vinegars, and organ meats, with butternut squash and strawberries as a dessert.  I also eat baking chocolate (very dark is an okay compromise if you don't like the bitterness) and drink Coke Zero.

If I see something interesting that fits into my diet, I usually get it.  Cheating isn't a huge deal as long as I get back on track, family holidays may involve baked goods.  I also occasionally make baked goods with coconut or almond flour, although this is expensive.  Speaking of the price, I actually wound up spending less on food after adopting this because I feel the need to eat less.

I don't count calories and I don't count carbs, although I'm aware that my carbs range from around 10-150 daily and last I checked my calories were under 2000.  I just eat when I'm hungry until I'm not, I only get irrationally hungry when I eat too much sugary fruit or cheat because fat and protein are satiating.


So that's it.  It's not a particularly miraculous diet, but it is working for me.